Tomato and Corn Pie with Fresh Basil is a twist on classic tomato pie. It’s the ultimate Southern-inspired summertime quiche!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 20 minutes
- 1 prepared pie crust, homemade or purchased
- 5 small tomatoes such as Roma (about 1 pound), sliced approximately 1/4-inch thick
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 small ears of blanched corn)
- 3 scallions, white and light green part only, finely chopped
- 8 large leaves fresh basil, torn into 1/2-inch pieces plus more for garnish
- 1 1/4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- If using a purchased crust, roll it out to flatten it slightly. Place in a 9 or 10-inch deep-dish pie pan.
- Press the pie crust securely against the pie pan including securing the edge of the crust to the rim of the pie pan. Dock the bottom in a few places with a fork. Place a large piece of parchment over and up the sides and fill with pie weights, dried beans or rice.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees. Let crust cool.
- While the crust is baking, line a baking sheet with paper towels. Generously season the tomato slices with salt. Place on the paper towels to absorb the excess liquid that is drawn out by the salt.
- Before assembling, blot the tomatoes dry with paper towels.
- Remove parchment and weights and allow to cool 20 minutes.
- Combine cheese and flour and sprinkle evenly over the bottom of the crust. Top with 1/3 of the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with half the corn and scallion, basil and cheddar cheese. Repeat layering again, finishing with a layer of tomatoes on the top.
- Whisk together eggs and half-and-half, 1 teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper. Carefully pour the custard over the filling.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until set and top is lightly browned. (Keep an eye on the crust. You may need to make a foil collar to keep it from getting overly browned.)
- Let rest 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with additional torn basil leaves.