You’ve probably heard it before. “Lighting is key.” It’s advice that is repeated frequently in the design world, and we’re certainly not going to deny that it’s true.
However, we know that for the average homeowner, that phrase may not mean very much. Sure, lighting is key, but what makes for good lighting?
In today’s post, we’re going to break down all things lighting for your kitchen. We’ll teach you:
- How to pick lighting fixtures
- Why lighting is important
- What to look out for
If you’re looking for some kitchen lighting ideas, you’ve come to the right place!
Why Update Your Kitchen Lighting?
The kitchen is one of the most used rooms in your home. It makes sense that homeowners want them to be as functional as possible. Having good lighting is a key part of that.
We know what you are thinking. “I already have lighting in my kitchen! Why would I spend a bunch of money on new lighting?”
It’s a fair question, but we have a good answer. Here are a few of the reasons why it can be helpful to invest in new kitchen lighting.
- 🤩 Style – If you’ve never updated your light fixtures, it is more than likely that what you have is a domed flush mount light fixture. While these are perfectly serviceable, they are considered to be outdated and don’t add much to the overall style of your kitchen. Adding new light fixtures can help modernize the kitchen and help you define the style of the room.
- 🔌 Energy Efficiency – Kitchens use almost more energy than any other room in your house. And older lighting fixtures certainly aren’t helping with that. Updating your lights to a more energy-efficient model will save you money in the future while being significantly more eco-friendly.
- 🧭 Lighting Direction – In general, most kitchens will have omnidirectional lighting that will throw light in all directions. But sometimes, you need more concentrated light in a specific area of the kitchen, such as on the countertops. We love a mixture of task lighting fixtures, along with overhead lights. New light fixtures will allow you to have light everywhere you want and nowhere that you don’t.
5 Kitchen Lighting Ideas
If you’re looking to create a kitchen with a little more pizazz, we’ve got the ideas you need to switch things up!
1) Recessed Lighting
When it comes to creating a modern kitchen, the go-to choice for many is recessed lighting. Recessed lighting consists of a small light fixture that is inserted into your ceiling. This helps maintain a clean, unobtrusive sight line while still ensuring that your kitchen is well-lit.
Recessed lights also work wonderfully as task cabinet task lighting.
2) Pendant Lights
If you want your lights to make a statement, you need a pendant light. Pendant lights are one of the most popular options on the market. Pendant lights come in endless designs, so you are sure to find a style that matches your own.
Pendant lights typically consist of a bulb and shade that are suspended above a surface by a cord. Most people choose to have a mixture of pendant lighting and either recessed lighting or flush mounts. Pendant lights tend to make the most impact when hung above a surface such as a kitchen island or countertop.
3) Wall Sconces
Wall sconces, or wall lights, are much less frequently used but can add incredible ambient light to your home. These fixtures are installed directly on the wall and tend to lend an antique or vintage feel to your home. We love the look of wall sconces in farmhouse or country-style kitchens.
When it comes to statement lighting, you cannot go wrong with a gorgeous chandelier light. Chandeliers have been used to create a focal point for centuries and continue to be popular today.
Don’t worry, though. If the word “chandelier” gives you “Phantom of the Opera” flashbacks, know that antique crystal chandeliers are not your only option (although if that’s your style, we aren’t complaining). Today’s chandeliers can fit every aesthetic, from the modern minimalist to those looking for something retro and funky.
5) Focus on Lightbulbs
One of the best ways to switch up the feel of your room is to invest in high-quality lightbulbs. These days, you have more options than ever, from LED to smart bulbs!
In general, we prefer a lightbulb that gives off a softer, yellow-toned light. This helps a room feel cozy and relaxing, even with overhead lighting on.
Work With a Design Pro!
Ready to take your kitchen lighting to the next level? You’ll want an interior designer who has the experience to make your kitchen a room you’ll love. At Thomas Buckborough & Associates, we’ve been designing and remodeling homes for over 30 years. We work closely with our customers to ensure that they get a home they will be proud of for years to come. If you’re ready to revamp your kitchen, we are ready to help. Contact us today to set up a virtual or in-person consultation!